04 October 2008

Louisburg Cider Mill

We sure know how to pack it in, make a tight weekend – I'm having a quiet moment writing in my blog. So the Louisburg Cider Mill is a happening place this weekend. I wouldn't say there's enough to do to spend the whole day, but certainly, with as many people there are lining up everywhere, you could very well be there all day.

They had a little pumpkin "field", as it were, for photo opportunities. You could even buy the things, but the price was not right; and after all those kids had been stomping around on them, I'm not sure you'd want them anyway.

That's the little building where they house their cider mill, pressing away. You could buy jugs of the stuff at the general store, but I can just as easily pick some up at the local Hy-Vee too.

What is it with kids and their faces?

Around back of the cider mill barn is where they feed the apples into the mill. There was a sign giving the facts, but I don't remember any details.

Fresh cider donuts: there's another building adjacent to the general store where they fry up fresh donuts, kind of like ol' Krispy Kreme, if you've ever seen one of their donut machines – Vegas has one in the Excalibur hotel. And there was fresh apple cider – straight from the red barn? – to wash it down with.

Elizabeth AhYee is a favorite with all the kids.

Hay rides back and forth between the main festivities and the corn maze.




I paid $4 for a pony ride and got an all-day angel. Was it worth it? Yes, I'm not above bribery. :)

Climbing on the hay bales with Mary and Jude. Now, there's a free entertainment all the kids can enjoy.