21 October 2008

Angel in the Corner

I believe that babies see angels, although BB's the only one that I know for sure who has. I can't tell you when exactly it was, certainly while we were still breastfeeding, but over a period of a few months, I remember we'd be sitting in our chair, the one you see in the background above, and she'd be staring off into space, cradled in my arms. I'd say there were 6-12 specific instances in which I'd see her looking at a very particular spot in the corner above the right hand side of the fireplace; and suddenly, her face would break out into a bright and full smile, and stay that way for an extended period of time, her eyes fixed on that spot, never wavering or moving. When she would look away from that spot, the smile would fade. It never happened anywhere else; and it happened regardless of whether it was light or dark outside.