19 October 2008

Complaint Driven Holidays

I've decided that I secretly hate the holidays. I feel as if I no longer celebrate the one holiday and enjoy it before I'm rushing on to the next – I'm pretty sure stores had their Christmas decorations out before the end of September –, one big festive blur. So I haven't even begun the girls' Halloween costumes, and already I'm being inundated with Advent! I'm seeing the rest of the year flash before my eyes and it's making me just the slightest bit panicky. Thank goodness we already have our invite to someone else's house for Thanksgiving.

Speaking of Advent, I would like to have one of those little calendars that count down the days until Christmas; and ideally, each day will have a little place for keeping a treat or fun item for the kids. At first I was thinking of a wooden advent house, or I really like this idea of getting a different piece of the nativity scene each day. But I recently learnt that advent (for only Catholics?) can be anywhere between 22 to 28 days, depending on what day Christmas falls; the aforementioned calendars wouldn't work some years, unless I "recycled" some of the lower numbers. My new scheme is to make my own, although I might not be able to include as many cute embellishments. I happened upon this adorable advent calendar, and I was thinking if I made mini bags like this Etsy, I could do up 28 bags and have them for every occasion. That's my epiphany. A little liturgical calendar pun...

And advent also means rum pot!!! Hmm, what do you know, advent starts on a Sunday this year (little bit of borrowed humor there): I'm marking my calendar for 30 November.