28 May 2008

The SDMINES Plates

Here's a wild story: I'm driving down the interstate on the way back from my doc's appt (report below) to pick up G at BB's godmother's house when I come up behind a red car with S.Dakota license plates. For some reason, I like to notice these things. But these were even more notable for what was printed on them: SDMINES. Drew's and my alma mater is not particularly big so I figured I might very well know whoever was driving the car – and as it turns out, when I pulled up alongside, it was our dept adviser, Dr S, at the wheel! I honked and waved him down, and we had a brief reunion on the side of I-435, probably no more than 5 or 10 minutes. He was on his way to lunch with someone in town, passing through to Wichita and OKC, through on to one of the Carolinas and DC.

Dr S makes his own jellies and jams from fruit that he gathers wild in the Black Hills and he asked whether I'd like some. Without wanting to appear greedy, I asked if I could have one of each of his flavors: chokecherry and raspberry-rhubarb. (We've had jars of his various jellies in years passed and they're delicious.) He took a picture of me to verify our meeting and we went our separate ways. So I ask you, what are the chances?

Report: I ended up not seeing the doc this morning because she was at the hospital (adjacent building) delivering someone else's baby. The receptionists kept reporting that it should be any time now, that the woman was getting ready to push, etc. but after an hour, nothing. So I decided to reschedule knowing that I'll probably be back within the week anyway. As I was getting on the elevator, the doc was just coming back, saying that the woman's baby didn't seem to have any intention of coming out, which I could very well hope doesn't happen to me when the time comes.