


Afterwards, E drove me around Leavenworth, having lunch at a TexMex restaurant, going to a local tea shop, shopping the deals at a Polish pottery store – I got a sugar and creamer set in a discontinued pattern for 50% off –, and viewing the amazing creations at the quilting shop next door to that. At the latter, they had a laser guided quilting machine for the really big projects...like the one I still haven't finished. For those of you who haven't heard this one yet, back in grad school, I dusted off the ol' sewing machine, got a wild hair and decided I wanted to make a quilt, one of those things on my life's to-do list. I shopped around and found one of those block-of-the-month sets – for a king size quilt. (I figure if I'm going to sew a quilt, I might as well go out and do it right.) But it wasn't until I was pregnant with G and looking for a job that I found the time to actually start sewing the thing. Once I finished the top piece, I got to reading the directions for finishing my quilt and realized I bit off way more than I could chew. (There's certain nuances to piecing the layers together so that it's all centered, even, and not bunchy; there are at least 10 different patterns to be quilted onto the top, which requires penciling the designs on in sections; and I'm afraid my machine can't handle the super thick cotton layer that I bought to pad the quilt.) So the thing's been sitting incomplete these last 3-4 years. LOL! I've hauled it across the United States twice: from DC to Alaska, and now from Alaska to KCMO. In each place I've considered paying someone to finish it for me, and now I'm considering this machine in Leavenworth. I was told you can rent the thing for $15/hour and they'll teach you how to use it. I guess now it's just a matter of finding the time to do it – I wonder how many more years that's going to take. :)Addendum: I see I can pay an experienced machine quilter (at the above store) to finish my quilt for me at a rate of $0.015 per square inch. I forget the exact dimensions of my quilt, but I'll bet I'm looking at least $100 to finish. It really could be worth it.