17 May 2008

The Culprit

Something's been digging in our trash for about as long as we've been here – we keep the can outside in front of the garage door. At first we thought it must be a dog or cat, but considering the relative stealth, the latter was more probable. One of our late night invaders even left a present on the front stoop for us to find: a wad of pooh.

But then last night as I was laying in bed reading a book, I heard snarling like a dog. Except it wasn't a dog – it was two raccoons! We turned the porch light on in an attempt to get a better look, but the way our porch curves in front, the corner where the can sits is completely in the dark. Just as I was coming to get a look from our bedroom window, Drew made a hissing noise and scared them off – passed the porch, where I had just been standing. But 'coons are persistent if nothing else. It took a few more tries, but with the driveway light on, I managed to get a really good view of my first live raccoon. (I don't know about you, but I've only ever seen dead ones on the side of the road.) He rustled through the garbage; scampered up onto the porch and sat there for a little while; made his way back to the trash; got spooked by my accidentally brushing up against the window screen and sat on the step for a few seconds; and then ran off through the bushes and across the street. I probably won't think it's so exciting in a few months, but it's pretty cool right now.