03 May 2008

25 April : The Haunting

As Drew will tell you, I'm not what you would call a fanatical housekeeper. I don't clean pro-actively and I only pick up messes as they come to my urgent attention. But I do have my moments, e.g. in my third trimester nesting phase, when I get a little wild with the cleaning supplies and gadgets and scrub until I look like I've been to the gym. Take our new house for instance. It'd be too harsh to call it a sty because it's a nice house – but the landlady left a lot to be desired in terms of move-in cleanliness. Most apparent is the thick layer of dirt, grime, human hair and fur all over *every* surface in the house. The carpet, the drawers, cabinet shelves, corners, the tops of doors, door jams, the door itself, the track of the sliding shower doors and porch door, windows, the blinds horiz & vert, the ceiling fans. What grosses me out the most is that it's not mine/ours and that I'm the one to clean it. During one of my daily cleaning projects, and subsequent sneezing fits, I wondered to myself how much a full service cleaning job would cost. I even went so far as to see what companies there are here in town. Some even give free estimates. :) One of the hardest things to cope with is not having our vacuum cleaner here to do its thing.