20 May 2008
100-Mile Diet
In the previous post, I mentioned two local dairies: Heartland and Shatto. I was learning recently that only the latter fits the bill for the 100-Mile Diet (link also here and here). Apparently it thrives quite well here, and it's no wonder. Kansas City is pretty well central, I presume, to a lot of the goods circulating through the Lower 48, and this is farming country. I think it's a good idea, esp the part about supporting local growers, but I don't know that I would go out of my way to follow it 100%. A lot of the locally owned grocery stores carry local goods, but otherwise, Lees Summit's farmers' market only runs on Wednesday and Saturday mornings, which isn't exactly always convenient for me what with baby appts on Wednesdays and sleeping in on Saturdays. Drew and I were also laughing that it'd be near impossible to follow such a "diet" in places like, say, Alaska.