Thanks to Megan, I'm now afraid to go out into my lawn because of what will be lurking there: chiggers! I've heard of them before, and I suppose I assumed they were only in warmer climes, i.e. the South, but I guess I never gave them much thought because no one ever said, "...and we have them here in [insert state's name]". So they're here in Missouri (read also this article), although interestingly, if you Google "chiggers" and "Kansas" you don't get the same kind of search results, like they're not as much of a nuisance on the other side of the state line. Anyway like the latter article says, there's no positive side to chiggers, but at least it sounds like it's relatively easy to prevent their actually puncturing your skin and causing itching and suffering by being diligent – both on your property and your body.
19 May 2008
Another Missouri Pest
Thanks to Megan, I'm now afraid to go out into my lawn because of what will be lurking there: chiggers! I've heard of them before, and I suppose I assumed they were only in warmer climes, i.e. the South, but I guess I never gave them much thought because no one ever said, "...and we have them here in [insert state's name]". So they're here in Missouri (read also this article), although interestingly, if you Google "chiggers" and "Kansas" you don't get the same kind of search results, like they're not as much of a nuisance on the other side of the state line. Anyway like the latter article says, there's no positive side to chiggers, but at least it sounds like it's relatively easy to prevent their actually puncturing your skin and causing itching and suffering by being diligent – both on your property and your body.