I awoke early this morning for a stretch – and got a horrid Charley horse. (Remember those?) They've been threatening for a couple weeks now, i.e. I've always managed to stretch them out on my own, but after trying unsuccessfully to walk/limp this one off, I had to wake Drew to massage it for me. On the way back to bed, Drew confided, with a noticeable gleam of pride in his eye, "I got a picture of the raccoon!" And wouldn't you know it, right as he said it, there *they* were! Two of them, one of them busily sucking our feeder dry, while the other prowled nearby.
Completely undeterred, between the two of them, they made at least five or six visits during the night and early morning hours, so that we even woke G and BB to see them on one occasion. It's funny that while I held BB and she was staring intently at the raccoon, she talked of everything but the raccoon: our sand table, the plant on the table, the umbrella over the table, the bird feeder itself, but no mention of the visitor. It was only after I put her back into bed that she stated matter-of-factly, "There's a raccoon stealing from our bird feeder."