05 November 2008

You Want How Much! For That Rx

A few weeks ago, we became suspicious that G had an UTI, and late last week we had started her on antibiotics; but after a couple of doses, she began complaining of a headache, one of the stated side effects, and running a low grade fever. We're not really sure what caused the latter given that it never developed into anything more significant, but since stopping the meds, she really hasn't been the same: she's perpetually tired. Part of me wonders that it has to do with the time change, that she's not yet used to the sun going down so early.

Today the pediatrician called in another Rx, a replacement, for us to pick up, and I about fell over when they told me what the out-of-pocket co-pay was going to be: $78! And that's after insurance. Which the new medicine does not have a generic counterpart so the actual pre-insurance cost is over $300. As the Hy-Vee on our side of town didn't have the med in stock, they called it over to the store on the other side of town, and in the interval I took a moment to call Drew – I didn't have my cell phone with me so I had to use a public pay phone, the first in probably years – and ask him what he thought I should do. Well, even though we could get that same Rx for cheaper through mail-order, it would probably take a couple of days to receive the medicine, and with kids, you'd rather make them comfortable as soon as possible, despite the expense. So I trundled myself to the other side of town in the middle of the pouring rain.

But this story's just beginning, although it may take a few weeks to play out: because of G's age, they want to rule out any bladder or kidney problems so when she finishes her course of antibiotics we have to get a sonogram and an x-ray done. Among other things, they want to make sure that her bladder isn't backing urine up into the kidneys, etc. (Sound familiar, Courtney?) They tell me that if this is the case, it will most likely correct itself, but she would have to be on a low dose antibiotic for awhile to prevent further infections and the like.