
The family went to the mall two weeks ago in search of that
blue blazer for Drew for work. We went to the mall's play area after he hit pay dirt so the girls could run wild; I did a little shopping – on my own! For lack of imagination, I wandered close by and ended up in
Charlotte Russe. From the outside, the place looked decent, i.e. not too trashy, but once I stepped inside, I knew I was in the wrong place; the first thing that came to mind: I'm too old to be in here. (My aunts used to tell me that they'd use us nieces as cover to go into similar stores.) I tried to give the place the benefit of the doubt as I wandered to the sales racks at the back, but the second thing that came to my mind: my girls will never shop at this store. Afterwards, I wandered to the Gap, and I had the feeling that I've almost "outgrown" that place. Or maybe they're getting "younger" so to speak. Anyway among other things, I've recently taken it into my head to round out my wardrobe with those essential pieces that everyone talks about, like the crisp white button up shirt and the little black dress. In the search for the latter, I've come to the sad realization that I don't have enough shoulder – too narrow? – to pull off the sleeveless look (above), much as I admire it.