12 November 2008

Non-Cottonmouth

I bought up two cases of fuyu persimmons from Costco last week, and with one of the major eating holidays coming up, I was reminded of Thanksgiving four years ago.

That was our first winter in Washington DC: I was pregnant with G, and we didn't have any plans for the holidays, so dear Erica and Jack invited us to their house in Durham, N.Carolina, about a five-hour drive if I remember correctly. Which Erica's little sister Janet and Jack's younger brother Mitch were going to be there too. The six of us made all sorts of tasty fixings – ourselves! – including the turkey, sweet potatoes and marshmallows, apple pie. That might have been the first time I'd ever made gravy before.

After dinner, Janet (above left) treated us to some persimmons she'd brought from Boston, where she was attending college. Sadly, they were the astringent kind, slightly under-ripe but sweet, so that we all suffered through that strange pasty mouth. I remember as a child my mom bringing home a persimmon, just sweet, and being alarmed at the sensation in my mouth. But we've been eating the Costco persimmons kind of crunchy, barely soft, and they're great: no astringency.