03 November 2008

The Kitchen Fashion Statement

This being November, I have a birthday imminently in store for me. I tend to like to indulge in a little present and this year I decided it was high time I got a pretty apron for all the time I'm in the kitchen. I have one of those heavy-duty canvas barbecue aprons, bland cream colored: it's not very inspirational, if you catch my meaning. Well some time ago, I had been looking at aprons in general, and after doing a little more window shopping, I ultimately decided on a Flirty Everyday Apron – in fact, the one pictured (on the left) in my previous post.

With the holidays and all that delicious baking coming up, I'll be enlisting the girls' help and I thought, why not get them an apron too! And since I had a 90% success rate sewing the capes, I thought I might try my hand at a pattern. Of course the internet abounds in the free kind and I'm thinking the half apron might be best suited to my skills. I sat up last night, maybe a little too long, looking at patterns, and ironically, the website I liked best was all in Turkish: a collection of patterns, the surfing all done for me. One of the aprons I shall make is this no-sew using a pair of pants (right). Some years ago, I took a pair of jeans apart thinking to make a long skirt from it – but the skirt never materialized, and the jeans just sit there. And for the leftover legs of the jeans: voila! Waste not, want not. There are also a plethora of pillowcase and dish towel apron patterns. This one requires minimal sewing (two buttons), and would be ideal for the keeper dish towel in the back of my drawer. These two dish towel aprons are variations of each other; you can get a full apron from two dish towels together; and this one's just pretty. (Incidentally, I love fabric designs from this company. My apron is from April Cornell's Sonnet Collection.)