06 March 2008
One Bathroom
Even though G is only 3, sometimes I wonder if she isn't already prepping to become a teenager. We're currently in the throes of potty training. To put it more accurately, because she's so strong-willed, we're kind of just waiting around for her to train herself. It's a strange concept, I know, but there's screaming and violent crying involved if we go the other route. (Maybe as parents we're just too nonchalant about it. Maybe we just have one of "those" kids.) Anyway this week, her passion is using the "big potty". We've got one of those little potties where the top can be placed on the big potty to make a training seat (so she doesn't fall in). From the very start, she's been very keen on doing it all herself. If she feels she needs to use the potty, she runs into the bathroom, closes the door and does her thing. Afterwards, she knows to empty the potty, flush the toilet, etc. You'd be amazed what she's learned just from having one of those potty books read to her a million times. (The hump we're having trouble getting over is consistency.) So today, as Drew's making his way to the bathroom, G speeds passed him, saying, "Daddy, I have to use the potty", while slamming the door in his face. I don't think she really had to go, but it was a priceless moment nonetheless.