09 March 2008

Hawai'i: Day 9

Even though the bottle of Milk of Magnesia says it works within 8 to 12 hours, we wait around most of the morning and nothing. But G is noticeably better: improved appetite and energy.

In the afternoon we head to the Waikiki Aquarium. The place is quite smallish compared to most aquariums that you see on the mainland, with only one building and nothing bigger than a reef shark on exhibit. (There was Hawaiian monk seal enclosure, but none were out that day.) But I was pretty impressed with what I saw, and I learned quite a bit (for once). They had those little audio tour wands, and with the size of the building, Drew and I could actually concentrate on listening and looking.

We saw Nemo; Dory; supposedly the oldest giant clam in captivity (behind us), and other smaller ones that they were breeding; a large tank with fish larger (and probably heavier) than G, reef sharks, and some zebra sharks swimming around inside; several species of jellyfish; and the sea dragon, although I can't remember if it was "leafy" or "weedy".

When we return to the Hawaiian King, we sit out in the pool area enjoying some cool drinks and the company of the Canadian retirees. Afterwards, we head to Kuhio Beach and hang out until just before sunset. On the way home, we consider eating at the Cheese Burger in Paradise, but end up having Vietnamese rice noodle bowls at the International Market food court, with a side of French fries for the girls. For dessert, we get bags of Kahala Nuts, which just end up being sugar-covered pecans. Yum! Back at the HK, the girls both fall asleep before Finding Nemo is over.