13 March 2008

The Human Experience

Drew and I had our first movie date night in a long while. (I went to see Bella back in January, and it was the first time I'd been to the theater in at least almost four years.) Anchorage had a pre-screening of this documentary-ish film called The Human Experience that we really wanted to see, and with my dad here, it was a perfect time to get out. It's about these two brothers who go on adventure experiences to find the answers to life's burning questions. It sounds cheesy and done before, but it was powerful nonetheless. (Warning: If you're prone to crying, bring lots of tissue.) In particular they have three experiences: living on the streets of NYC for a week as a homeless person; volunteering in a home for abandoned and disabled children in Peru; and visiting in a leper colony in Africa. This film is still in "rough" cut so it didn't flow as well as I think it could have, but it got its point across. And being that they're a small production company, their resources are fairly limited – they're still trying to get someone to distribute the movie on a larger scale. I recommend this one if it comes to your town.