08 September 2009
Cha-Ching!
Last year, G's teacher reported that she loved playing in the pretend flower shop that was set up in the classroom for a couple of weeks. But even before that I've been looking for a likable cash register to add to our collection of toys: you can't buy and sell goods, if you don't have somewhere to keep the dough. Too many of them make too many obnoxious noises, or have too many gadgets to fight over. Ideally, I could have this one, which I played with as a youth. (Have I mentioned this before? I feel as if I have... Oh, yes, here. Well I'm kicking myself now because come to find out I might have bought replacement coins for that $2 register.) Or a wooden one would be great. But finally getting down to the nitty gritty, I decided to make my own.

I was sure that either Michael's or Hobby Lobby sold a wooden drawer, but no luck. This one's lid opens upward on a hinge, and inside there's room for a pad of paper (for receipts?), some play money that still needs to be made, and a little calculator. The color was meant to be a light green, but since we were mixing from on-hand colors, i.e. white, yellow and blue, wouldn't you say it's more of a sea foam? The buttons are little wooden coins that I painted and glued on; and don't you think Drew did a nice job with the letter stamping? I was thinking if I get around to it, I'll modge podge some decorations to the front and sides.