27 September 2009
Carry a Big Stick
I'm often amazed at what BB learns just from watching others. For example, her pacifier will fall out of her mouth in the night and sometimes fall under her bed, which is in the corner of the room. It used to be she'd wake up crying and screaming, looking for either Drew or me to come find it for her; or sometimes she'd reach for it herself and find her arm too short. I'm sure she put two and two together, one time seeing us use a long stick to reach for something under the couch or fridge, because I know some months ago, I heard BB get up one night, pitter patter to the kitchen, return to her room and turn on the light – and then the strangest noise, like someone was sounding the wall for treasure, you know, intermittent light tapping and scuffling. And then the noise stopped, the light went out and all was quiet. The next morning, I happened to find the big stick that we keep in the kitchen for blocking the sliding door under BB's bed, and then it was my turn to put two and two together: she had used it to bring her pacifier out. Since then, I've seen the light pop on and heard the strange noise a handful of times, including this last week.