06 March 2009

No Adults

I bought Chutes and Ladders, among other things, at the consignment sale this week. When G wanted to play with it, I told her she'd need an adult to play along. She thought about this for a minute, and said, "But these kids," pointing to the box (left), "don't have an adult keeping them company."

I recently started reading a book on left-handedness, and I'm beginning to wonder that some of G's zingers are because she's a southpaw, wrt different hemispheres of the brain, left- and right-brain connectedness, etc. In the book there's a chapter on cutting (with scissors) – I learned there's no such thing as "universal" scissors because they're still right-hand biased – and it got me to thinking about the peculiar way she holds and uses her scissors: with the blades pointing downwards towards her. So I ordered her up two pairs of true left hand scissors, one for home and one for school.