09 March 2009

Going Once... Going Twice... Sold!

Drew and I attended our parish school's annual auction dinner over the weekend – an honest-to-goodness date night! Some friends in Alaska attended one last year so though we've never been to one ourselves I was passingly familiar with the program: the evening opens with dinner – BBQ sandwiches and the usual BBQ fixin's for the ranch theme – and silent auction on a large number of items, such as gift baskets, gift certificates, jewelry, sporting goods; followed by open outcry auction (like you see in the movies) on big ticket and handcrafted (by the students) items, e.g. a table and set of chairs that G's preschool class helped to paint, and with their handprints and names on the underside, LASIK surgery on two eyes, weekend packages to places like St Louis or Omaha or Eureka Springs. (I'm absolutely inspired to go to the last based on pictures and personal recommendations on the beauty of the area, northern Arkansas, in general.)

In the first part, Drew had his eye on this painting (left) by Don Smith, which I bid for him and didn't win; and I liked a Coldwater Creek scarf/shawl, and we were the only bidders. We also entered a raffle drawing for a new Sony digi cam, but I don't think our odds were very good. But arguably the most exciting part, the second, of the evening was the live auction. There was a lively volley for some items, like the reserved first pew for next year's first communion mass or the above-mentioned weekend getaways; others, not so much. Drew "won" for us dinner for two at Benton's Steak & Chop House: our anniversary dinner. The highest bidding of the evening went to a Miller (beer) neon sign ($1900) and dinner for ten with Fr Rogers ($1925). In the former, I wonder that the winner intended to pay as much as he did, being egged on as he was by the crowd and going head-to-head with a collector (and later getting a standing ovation); in the latter, Father told the crowd that it was our chance to redeem ourselves for bidding so much for a neon sign and offering only $100 for religious artwork done by students. But in fact, the top two bidders both agreed to pay said amount, so Father retains his reputation of being the biggest draw at the auction dinners.

At home, the girls reportedly had a good time with the babysitter, our pediatrician's oldest daughter, a college student. When I told G on Friday that Daddy and I were going out and that a "big sister" was coming to stay with them, she said she would show the big sister all their toys – and she did. There was no crying from anyone when we left, though G showed signs of balking as I was putting my shoes on; and everyone went to bed quietly and obediently when the time came. The only hitch was that Z's window overlooking the driveway was still open when we pulled up so that she started crying almost as soon as we turned into the drive. And getting up for mass the next morning was a little brutal what with daylight savings.