10 December 2008

Stump of Jesse

I don't often go on the yearly tree buying trip, so it was news to me when I saw the little Charlie Brown trees for sale at our church. Theirs is a spartan little brownish green thing, perhaps a little stronger limbed – I wanted one the moment I saw it. But for the same price, you could get a fuller CB tree with a plastic watering dish stand at Lowe's. Funny story: while Drew was deciding on a CBt he overheard a husband laughing to his wife, "What are you supposed to do with a little tree like that?" And Drew replied, "Some people use them for Jesse trees." Husband: "Huh." Later, Drew saw the husband carrying one of the little trees out to their car.

I contemplated using our CBt for a Jesse tree, what with the new ornaments that we're getting, but as far as house space is concerned, the CBt was best in the girls' room and maybe it wouldn't be prudent to leave little trinkets in little hands unsupervised. So we strung some lights and it keeps them company at night when they're going to sleep: a happy night light.

This is the before and after of the proper living room tree. I'll wait until the last to outfit it with presents so there's no danger of prying fingers. Of course Drew would argue that that's part of the fun – he was tolerably proficient when he was a kid at unfastening the tape without doing damage and having a peek – so I might wrap up some of the stocking stuffers, since we don't have stockings to hang by the fire with care.