This weekend was the
KC Irish Fest at the Crown Center downtown. We're not a single drop of Irish between us, but you can't help feeling a little green when there's shamrocks and haggis around. It also helps that this event is so family-friendly. Not only are kids under 12 free, but they had two childrens' play areas and an entire tent of kids' activities including face painting, temp tattoos, and (free) balloons.


But that's G having a peanut butter sandwich (top) and Drew a piece of leftover pizza (above) before entering the festival grounds: lunch on the cheap.

BB and her godmother, Elizabeth.




This
fountain and some of those inflatable moonwalk bouncing things were certainly worth the price of admission. G, along with Jude and Mary (above), played in the fountain for a "long time" – I don't wear a watch –, and later they jumped to their hearts' content on the inflatable things. (All three of our girls were in bed and asleep before 7:45, a new record.)

BB with Mary. Check out BB's partial tattoo, lower RH corner.



Our main reason for coming to the Irish Fest was to hear
Scythian. (We also wanted to hear
Gaelic Storm, but they didn't play until late.) I'd never heard of them until we were planning on coming to the IF. Evidently, they played at World Youth Day – yay, Papa B! – and some of the band members have ties to the Institute where Drew went to grad school. Drew remembers being invited to one of their concerts when we were in DC, where they're from. This must have been after G was born because I don't ever remember being invited. But they were pretty good, if I know anything about Celtic music. I was chatting most of the time with Z's godmother and her friend though, so maybe I wasn't paying the full attention that it needed.