25 August 2008

Are You Chinese?

I had a darling encounter with a little (adopted) Chinese girl at the grocery store this afternoon. We must have looked in each other's direction at the same moment because I saw this look of excitement come over her face. As I was already coming in her direction, she kind of shouted to me, "Are you Chinese? You're Chinese!" Her mom told me they brought her over when she was just over two years old, of course didn't retain any of the Cantonese that she was accustomed to, but they intended on putting her in classes to learn Mandarin, which I told the little girl is what I spoke. And as we were parting ways, she looks up at me and says, "We'll see each other around, okay?"

Meanwhile, Hy-Vee had a great bargain on swim diapers: $2 a pack. They're normally around $1 per diaper so this is a steal. I'm reminded of another fantastic bargain. The first year we were living in DC, the Safeway had a sale on out-of-season Valentine's Day chocolate: $0.25 per bag. And they had dark chocolate. I couldn't believe my eyes so I only got four bags, reasoned that I didn't "need" all that chocolate. There was a guy in the next aisle over, however, who had a box full. That must have been a slow year for Valentine's chocolate/candy because the next year I didn't see any similar markdown.