23 August 2008

Dense

A friend reminded me of this funny website the other day. Certainly, I myself have seen some great examples of mutilated English in Asia. (There's some funny examples from elsewhere in the world here.) The most memorable was one I saw while sitting on the bus in Taipei. I had been staring idly out the window, when after a couple of street lights I consciously noticed a woman riding on a motor scooter next to the bus. She was wearing one those satin bowling jackets that had a bunch of writing on the back – in English. I had trouble making it out at first because of the perpetual stopping and starting of our respective vehicles, but eventually got a good look at it and surmised that it was one of those name-meaning compositions. The definition part was written too small for me to read, but I'll never forget the name at the top: Dense.