Get set for several posts lumped together under this one heading, all to do with G.
- Sesame Street is very effective in its way. (For this month that we have TV – the things we do for the Olympics... – G's been catching up on SS, Backyardigans, Blue's Clues, some Dora, Dragon Tales. I just can't approve of most of the rest.) In one episode of SS, they were singing the ABC song and now G sings it really well, although it helps that it's set to the tune of Twinkle Twinkle. Of course she doesn't have all her letters straight yet, but the essence is there. I like particularly how she sings the last line: "...Now I know why my ABCs, next time won't you sing with me."
- G helped BB to spread a bag of Z's diapers around the living room in the afternoon. It's been a long while since we've used Pampers – they were my favorite when G was a baby, but something about them has changed: pill up exceedingly, use Kirkland now – but this was a leftover package from I don't know when, toted all the way from Alaska. For those of you who don't know, on the front of the Pampers is a character from Sesame Street, and I was remembering when G was young(er), when she was still ignorant of Elmo and SS, she would sit in a corner with a package of her diapers and pull them out one by one, carefully studying each character. I'm not sure of her purpose, but with a fresh package she could be at it for at least fifteen minutes at a time.
- Yesterday Drew was standing in the bathroom and G came barging in saying, "Excuse me, Daddy, I need to use the potty. I'm a big girl." I had such a laugh when I heard, dashed it off on a piece of paper straight away.
- And I'm under the early impression that preschool is/was the magic bullet for our remaining potty woes. Though she didn't use the potty at school yesterday, it was probably good for her to see the rest of the kids using it, wearing underwear. As soon as she got home, she wanted to put on her own underwear, has been using the potty with much success. And she was indignant when we suggested she put a diaper on for bed last night, so we compromised on a pair of Pull-Ups.