17 July 2008
Friendship Bread
One of our new church acquaintances passed me a bag of Amish Friendship Bread while we were over for a play date last week. (She has eight kids, seven of them are girls, the two youngest being G and BB's age, respectively. Seeing the older girls helping their mom was the light at the end of my tunnel, I'll tell you.) Of course I don't buy into the idea that the recipe actually originated with the Amish, but I like the concept of letting this batter mature over a matter of some days, fostering patience for a taste of all that sugar. (I'm going to have to go buy another bag of the stuff after just one batch of AFB.) Today was Day 10 of my bag so I whipped up my two loaves with Devil's Food pudding and a couple of other tweaks. Incidentally, since I don't have four friends to pass my batter on to – sad, I know – I read somewhere that you can freeze them for later use.