

In loving memory of Drew's dad Chris, we started a little family tradition of going to Taco Bell on the anniversary of his passing. (My mom's family celebrates the anniversary of the death of a family member by getting together, cooking a big meal of the deceased member's favorites, and eating it in their honor.) Why Taco Bell of all places? The food's not that great, which is probably why we make it a habit of not eating there. Well, as I hear it, i.e. before my time, whenever one or some of the kids would come home for a visit, Chris would want to take everyone out to eat: "Sky's the limit, whatever you want – so long as it's Taco Bell." (The absurd picture on the right came to us in a beautiful picture frame one Christmas from Chris's mom, Drew's grandmother: the wry sense of humor runs in the family I'm sure of it.) In all frankness, the place most appealed to his cheap side (his kids will tell you that with a fond smile – and maybe a laugh), and I suppose the bean burritos are good every once in awhile. Unfortunately, I never had the pleasure of being treated to Taco Bell. The two times that Chris ever paid for my meal was at a Chinese buffet place and at the Red Lion Inn, which is this pricey little place up in Boulder Canyon. Not bad for a daughter-in-law, eh? :)


For dessert we had
these little tasties (with fresh strawberries) since Taco Bell's cinnamon twists don't usually do it for me. (In my opinion, they skimp on the cinnamon and sugar, and frankly, they're too downright "fluffy". But do you remember when they had those more-substantial cinnamon crisps? Not as tasty as churros, but a tolerable substitution.) I happened to be surfing for a recipe and the picture sold me, not to mention the ease of the thing. Except for a little mishap with the half-and-half boiling over, this recipe is easy enough to be a regular at our house. In future, I would use bittersweet chocolate in place of semisweet, or less sugar.