01 July 2008

Loose Park and the Plaza

One of Drew's sisters Christie came for a visit this passed week. Drew took leave on Friday so we could take her to some of the (kid-friendly) sights around town. (I admit I was not a good activities coordinator on the days that we didn't have reinforcements.) Mercifully, it rained early Friday morning so that we could spend the day outside in some comfort.

We put together a simple picnic lunch and headed for downtown KCMO and Loose Park, where they had a very nice kids' play area and plenty of trees and grass. (There's a very new play area near our house that has neither trees nor grass so it's not an entirely pleasant place to go to.) As you can guess, the chips and Capri Suns were the favorites with G and BB.

Afterwards we had a stroll over to the rose garden, which interestingly didn't have much in bloom.

If you can believe it, G managed to get up there all by herself.

And of course BB wanted to be up there too – but she needed a little help ascending.

I can remember the first time I ever put G on a swing she giggled with delight every time I gave her a little push, and then cried when I tried to pry her off. Maybe it's the wondrous flying sensation they love. BB giggles at every push too (also see video below), and G will swing as long as there's someone willing to push her.

Apparently KCMO is known as the City of Fountains, or some such poetical nonsense. The Country Club Plaza certainly takes advantage of that fact by cramming at least two or three fountains on every city block. (There's a nearly identical fountain to the left of this fountain, not 10 feet away.) Admittedly, they're pleasant to look at and provide calming sounds of trickling water in contrast to the traffic noise.