I don't know what I get out of reading those milestone lists for babies and toddlers. For my kids, at least, we're usually about 6 months behind on half the things on the list. I mean they're always telling you, different kids, different development stages at different times, etc. etc. etc. so why do they even make those lists? Okay, I suppose I kind of clung to them as a first timer hoping that my kid was "normal". But among other things, G was about 6 months late getting to the bona fide talking bit – and she seems so caught up these days that you wouldn't even know she's only been at it a year...
So they say that at about 4-6 months, your baby, rolling around, maybe just crawling, will discover their toes as one of their first playthings. You know, they're such limber little things. At just over a year old, BB is finally discovering hers. (I don't think G ever played with her toes at all.) These last couple of days in particular, she'll be laid out on the living room floor (or in bed), staring at the ceiling, the legs will come up, she'll spit out her pacifier, if she's got one in her mouth, and taste her toes like they're some kind of delicacy. :P One at a time, just a little taste. She even smacks her lips like she's trying to get the full flavor of the salt! Once I think she even bit herself to see what it would taste like because she was crying with one of her toes in her mouth. :) I love to watch it unfold every time. But I try not to let on that I'm watching because then she'll get all self-conscious and stop. Any number of times I've wished to have our camera on hand, but me getting up would ruin the moment as well.