05 June 2010

The List

Side Effects (of Topamax): Weakness, tiredness, drowsiness, confusion, difficulty concentrating, tingling of the hands/feet, loss of appetite, diarrhea, impotence, and weight loss may occur.
Definitely drowsiness, as I've mentioned, maybe some confusion, and what I would describe as a volatility that has us adults walking on egg shells. Though the changes aren't minute-to-minute drastic, the suddenness is startling. I've seen her playing quietly, contentedly, and then burst into tears over something known only to her. One evening over dinner she became upset at being offered a vegetable that wasn't already on her plate – she became so agitated she was visibly shaking and remained so for nearly a minute after I plucked her out of her chair and held her. We've accumulated a list of triggers, which have helped us anticipate *some* of her mood swings, but there are plenty others which could be just plain ol' temper tantrums or crankiness due to the drowsiness. Another theory: her new found alertness also includes new found emotions that she hasn't quite learned to deal with yet.

 
With the "matching" Dora umbrella and boots that AhPoh bought for her birthday – in the evening before our appt at Children's Mercy.