05 August 2009

Edible Photography

G was studying the cover of one of my Martha Stewart Living mags, the one from February of the frosted cupcakes in a heart shape (right), and she was picking at it like she might actually pluck one of the cupcakes off the page and eat it. The movement instantly reminded me of the first time I ever saw her do that – when we lived in Alaska. It must have been a Parenting mag for I remember distinctly that it was an ad for those brightly colored yogurt dots. She didn't know I was watching: she flipped to the picture, picked one off the page, put it in her mouth and actually looked like she was savoring it. The power of advertising! Guilty admission: I bought a box of those yogurt dots to see what they tasted like, and you would never know they had ever spent a minute of their existence as yogurt for as much sugar was in them. I tell you, G probably enjoyed them more when she had to imagine them off the page of a magazine.