12 May 2010

Swatch vs Swatch

I'm terribly fortunate: I'm getting new furniture with my new house. In particular, a living room set and something for the entryway. (The trusty burlap is going in the movie room downstairs.) For this project, we're enlisting the help of no less than two design consultants, one from Ethan Allen, one from a local powerhouse called Nell Hill's; both of them complimentary. I had thought about discoursing on the whole process, impressions on the designers' different methods, approaches, styles, preparedness, but I'm sure you're just interested in the nitty-gritty: the fabric swatches. Unfortunately, only NH had loaner swatches for me to bring home and share around, while EA will bring theirs around at a later date to lay out and ogle.

Initially, I was rather drawn to the greens and blues that Deanna at NH had pulled – and then there was this red (above). The "cadet camel" on the left, which has a kind of underlying stripe pattern, will be the color of the two couches, while the "blossom red" will be two accent pillows with that brown velvety piece as piping around the edge.

Since the living room is so roomy, we also contemplated having one or two chairs for cozying up to the fireplace, using the "woodlake henna (paisley-ish)" as the main fabric and piping the "graham peat" on the bias, i.e. diagonally (as pictured).

And for fun, Deanna sent this "cornelius teastain" too, which maybe can't withstand kids since it's 100% linen? (Today's an overcast, rainy day so we're out of luck for vibrant natural-light pictures.) There will also be an assortment of side tables (depending on the room layout); an area rug underneath everything; and a dark leather ottoman coffee table, no buttons, for the middle. I was rather in love with a rug ottoman – some examples – that Deanna showed us, but then I'd be stuck always matching my room accents to the colors on the rug.

p.s. Here's my latest estate sale acquisition, which is currently residing very usefully in the entryway. (That's a functional drawer.) Interestingly, the top flips open and rotates 90 degrees (to hold the hinged edge) to double the tabletop space. If it remains there, I shall tuck a colorful little ottoman underneath for the getting on and off of shoes. Otherwise, I'm keeping my eye out for a dresser and chair combo. A mirror and lamp should complete the picture in either case.