The neighbors weren't kidding when they told us about the deer that wander through our neighborhood, and specifically past our house on the east side. The girls and I sighted three of them yesterday afternoon scampering passed our door/window. (BB told Drew they were "moose".) When I was out in the evening changing our hummingbird feeder, I noticed this:
Do you see it: they munched the stems off those leaves and left the leaves! Other plants fared about as well, and they even chomped the tops off Drew's new strawberry plants. But there were two potted plants, one of alpine strawberries, even closer in to the house, i.e. within about two feet, that survived the attack. Maybe it's a good thing that Drew's decided to hold off on doing any serious gardening this summer, so we can figure out how best to thwart the deer first.
p.s. I'm so pleased to see so much action at our hummingbird feeder even though it's been a tad cool – and rainy.