08 May 2010

Powell Gardens

Yesterday we took advantage of Nat. Public Gardens Day to get into Powell Gardens for free. Though still early in the season, I would guess, there were quite a few plants already in full bloom.

There was a fantastic orchid (and fern) exhibit in the main building,

of which the girls were more interested in the sprinkler just outside. G said it was just like rain, but with the less than desirable weather, I wasn't about to let them go near it.

A Japanese primula, which looks like it does really well in wet areas, comes in a variety of colors;

some sort of large peony – love the paper-like petals;

Drew had those purple flowers (that BB's blocking) growing in the front yard of the old house, but I thought it was interesting how they grew (really well) in the crevices of the rock wall like that;

this one did not have a label to it;

a field of chives in the edible garden section;

an apple sculpture heralding visitors to the edible garden, where there were also immature strawberries, blueberries, blackberry bushes, grapevines, apples, and a lot more that we didn't see (because it was getting rather windy-cold miserable);

and some cute button-like flower that no one seemed to know the name of. Anyway I ended up getting a membership so you'll most likely see a lot more flower pictures as the growing season progresses. I want to see their water lilies in particular.