27 March 2010

TOPh: Date That Picture

My mom found these and brought them on her recent trip – she went home on Thursday. She can't remember what year they were taken, maybe 1986 or 1987, or where (in Taiwan) for that matter. There's no time stamp on the back – woe to the pre-digi cam age –, and it's hard to gauge how old I or my cousins are.

But the adults are Shiao YeePoh, the boys' mom, San YeePoh, and AhTai, my AhPoh (from L to R).

And this is me with San YeePoh's husband. Before my own kids, I was pretty familiar with the terms "YeePoh", "grandma's sister", and "AhTai", "grandma's mother", because women tend to outlive men? But now that my own kids stand a pretty good chance of meeting the YeePohs' respective other halves, I'm at a loss as to what their title is. I threw out "YeeGong" once in desperation, which was hilariously seconded by Shiao YeePoh's husband over Skype, but apparently, my mom tells me, it doesn't sound what you might call proper. So until the actual meeting(s) when someone can settle this for us, we'll just call them "Yie-Yie", which is just another term for "grandfather".