16 March 2010

The Bottom Line

As humans I think we tend to think the worst when we hear the term "specialist". They're the ones you go to when your regular doc gets that concerned look on their face, and maybe says, "Hmmm...". That's where our saga with Z has ended: Dr Edward Hoffman, specializing in developmental and behavioral pediatrics.

On our pediatrician's recommendation, to make sure she didn't miss anything, I called Dr H's office a month ago, and passing his initial screening process, we got in on a cancellation yesterday (rather than the first available opening in mid-May). Though I'm not sure I was ever what you might call "concerned", I think seeing a specialist was the big step towards putting our minds at ease about Z's delay(s), that is, being able to definitively rule things out *now*. After doing a full eval, Dr H concluded Z is without a doubt not autistic and only about 1-3 months delayed overall, taking into consideration that she could be under-performing due to unfamiliar surroundings and partial language barrier. To be sure, however, we have a follow-up appt in six months.

In the meantime, Dr H's Rx: continue with First Steps physical therapy, maybe once a month, only if we feel it's a help to her rather than one big anxiety attack; and meet with a FS speech therapist, also once a month, to get tips on improving her vocabulary (in a hands-off capacity), again only if we feel the need.