03 March 2010

I Was Inspired

by the spring-like weather – full sun and almost temperate temperatures, although I hear we're in for some unpleasantness within the next week – to "make" this maternity jeans skirt. (I think the toddler rather improves the picture, don't you?)

After swishing about in the skirt for a bit, I've decided I'm going to add some panels to the side (above, without said panels). :sigh: I wish that belly button meant that I was *done*.

It's been awhile since I felt like sewing, uncovering the ol' machine, but this weekend, while perusing my blog reader, I felt the inspiration breeze brush my cheek. First, with this origami drawstring bag and this car seat book holder, and then remembering how I've always wanted one of those refashioned jeans skirts. So I butchered this pair of hand-me-down maternity jeans that never fit: too tight in the butt and thighs or too loose in the waist, depending on the trimester, for practice. My one regret, which shall be remedied with my next skirt (non-maternity), is that I cut the leg pieces on the wrong side so that I have a visible third seam on the front and back of my skirt. Next on the chopping block (after the drawstring bag): Drew's almost-Salvation-Army t-shirts, which I'm going to size down for my own benefit. Unfortunately, it'll be some months before I can actually wear them.

[Update: Because I was short on fabric, I did side panels half the length of the front and back, and although they improve the overall shape of the skirt, I kind of wish I had tried for 3/4 length panels instead.]