10 February 2009
Paper Props
G found a picture of a pair of roller skates in one of our coloring books, and after she colored it, she wanted to cut them out and attach them to her feet. Of course being the practical-minded parent, I wanted to know how she proposed to accomplish this feat. After some wrangling and insistence on her part that it would work, we settled on four rather longish pieces of regular tape to get the job done. Each roller skate was taped to either of her big toes and she "skated" by balancing on her heels. This worked fine as long as she was skating along slowly, but once she started tearing around the house, not so easy teetering on her heels, the tape wasn't strong enough. I allowed one renewal of the sticky stuff, and then the skates lay forgotten during dinner.
The next day she found a picture of a sparrow, cut the wings off, taped them on her shoulders and spent the next hour "flying" through the house. Later I found her flipping through the coloring book again because she wanted butterfly wings to "fly like a butterfly". I wonder that she must understand that having different shaped wings means that birds and butterflies get along differently.