15 August 2007

Rainboots, aka Break-Up Boots

In Alaska, just about everyone has a pair of rainboots. They're handy in the fall when it rains practically non-stop, heralding the end of summer; they're almost necessary in the spring when the ice and snow start to melt and break-up. Last night it rained and I wanted to bless every single drop of coolness, because for a little while there it was getting downright hot (almost 80 degrees!). I wanted to walk over to the grocery store this morning so I put G in her rainboots because there were still large puddles on the side of the road. There's just something about water that draws children to it. She jumped and sloshed and splashed with, for lack of a better phrase, childish glee. My only regret is that I didn't put rain pants on her too. On the way to the store, I tried to restrain her enthusiasm, but I'm sure now that her feet were completely soaked by the first car-sized puddle. And on the way home, when she wasn't walking in a puddle, you could distinctly hear sloshing. I'm willing to bet she's got nearly 2 cups of water in her boots, socks and pants.