I just happened to be subbing for someone's adoration hour late last night, perfect timing for the lunar eclipse. As I was getting up to go, the eclipse had just started, kind of shading the left side with that yucky brown-blood color. During the day we had had a scattering of clouds so at first I thought it might just be a funny colored cloud. (You don't think particularly straight in the middle of the night.) By the time I was leaving the church and coming home, the eclipse was almost complete: sort of like in the picture (that I got off the internet). I mean I can't remember the last time I saw a lunar eclipse and one that I saw so well, which isn't to say that it couldn't have been better with maybe a pair of binoculars. (I heard a telescope would be too strong.) The moon itself was nearly full so you could really distinguish the colors of the eclipsing; and from our side of town, there aren't so many street lights to take away from the effect. And if I didn't already have to be outside, I could have seen it all from our kitchen window. Needless to say, I didn't stay up for the second half of the show, ending at around 5 in the morning.
29 August 2007
Lunar Eclipse
I just happened to be subbing for someone's adoration hour late last night, perfect timing for the lunar eclipse. As I was getting up to go, the eclipse had just started, kind of shading the left side with that yucky brown-blood color. During the day we had had a scattering of clouds so at first I thought it might just be a funny colored cloud. (You don't think particularly straight in the middle of the night.) By the time I was leaving the church and coming home, the eclipse was almost complete: sort of like in the picture (that I got off the internet). I mean I can't remember the last time I saw a lunar eclipse and one that I saw so well, which isn't to say that it couldn't have been better with maybe a pair of binoculars. (I heard a telescope would be too strong.) The moon itself was nearly full so you could really distinguish the colors of the eclipsing; and from our side of town, there aren't so many street lights to take away from the effect. And if I didn't already have to be outside, I could have seen it all from our kitchen window. Needless to say, I didn't stay up for the second half of the show, ending at around 5 in the morning.