23 July 2009
The Witch Doctor's Voodoo Doll
The chiropractor herself gave me a follow-up call, wanting to know when I'd be coming in for my next appt, kind of pushy, insisted that my neck is crooked and needs continuing treatment in order to feel any kind of (long term?) relief. One, I don't do pushy, and hers is that whiny kind of persistence. Two, why see a chiro if you don't have any pain? Some might cry, "You're not being proactive!", but I say, why mess with a good thing, i.e. no pain? Not that I was in debilitating pain to begin with. Three, upon further reflection, I found the cracking sound of my bones too disturbing. I would not willing go through that again. When I raised my objections on that point, she mentioned something called the Impulse, which would supposedly be less, let's say, startling. I don't know about you, I find pictures of the Impulse in use a little distressing, aside from what it would actually do. Anyway finally I told her – she made me do it – that at this time I would not be seeking medical attention, and she gave me this, we'll be here with an I-told-you-so *when* you call, i.e. come crawling back, tone of voice. (In retrospect, maybe she sees this as a personal affront, but which has nothing to do with her professional or personal conduct.) I kid you not: as soon as I hung up the phone I started to get a headache and my neck started to ache. Coincidence? :sigh: In any case, I fear I didn't not handle that as well as I could have, although in all conscience I tried very hard to be as tactful as possible.