
I decided to try
this chocolate cake recipe for Z's party tomorrow and it became a sad mess, partly because I used a liquidy frosting – I was going for the drippy oozy look – and partly because the cake's too moist for its own good, a recommendation in itself. I followed the directions, waiting for the cakes and frosting to cool before I began assembling, but during the third layer, the whole became noticeably tilted. I thought maybe I was seeing things, but then, then!, when my back was turned, the third layer started to part in the middle. I tried to save it with skewers, but even the cake pulled away from those. In order to save the third layer from falling off the stand altogether, I destroyed the second in order to get the top onto a plate. And that's what I have to show for tomorrow. At least it'll taste good.