08 March 2012

The Trusty Journal

Had to look to my journal to see what we did the rest of the new year's week. Looks like organizing and putting away and packing on my part; lots of TV watching by the girls (to fortify them against the lack of at home); the usual business of eating and sleeping.

One day we went to MOS Burger for lunch. The milk comes in glass bottles, and there's a hand washing stand in the middle of the dining area, which I like for not having to take the girls through the bathroom. Oh, and I remember, in the middle of lunch, the sun suddenly came out (after days and days of overcast dreariness and rain), and you could hear the entire restaurant sighing in happiness and delight. We finished lunch and took a few spins around the school track to soak some of those rays up.

Had a cake that JioPoh gave us, she said it would be at optimum flavor three days after baking, which happened to be Friday, the fifth day of the new year. It looked a lot like my birthday Amo cake, but was much sweeter, no subtle hint of anything.


Lots of time spent drawing, when the girls were resting their eyes from the TV.



On the sixth day of the new year, we were back at Shiao YP's house for lunch with Su TaiPoh, who is the wife of my grandfather's cousin (deceased). I can't even remember the last time I saw her, my mom had to tell her who I was because she didn't recognize me. Su TP was escorted by her three grown children and two son-in-laws (don't think I've ever met any of them before), they all had a good gab, catching up.

In the course of the afternoon, those noisy spinning tops came back to haunt us. The girls were upstairs watching TV and during the commercials, the tops would spin furiously, and then go silent when the show was back on.

Said a final farewell to Shiao YieYie, and then Shiao YP drove us around town for a bit. We had planned to see a puppet museum, but the girls all ended up falling asleep so that we just went home (to do more packing).