13 January 2012

Clean Sweep

The other order of business in Hsinchu: mole removal. (Above, the sophisticated bob. Why does my face look blotchy and eyes slightly swollen? I've been indulging in some seafood, which has not been treating my face kindly.)

Some of the moles in question. Chinese say that if a child doesn't clean their bowl at every meal, each one of those leftover rice kernels will end up as moles on the face of their future spouse. Thanks, Drew, lol.

WARNING: kind of gross.

In the States, mole removal with a scalpel, esp on the face, seems so awkward and imprecise. I know, I've had it done, and it wasn't done well. Not to mention the scars left. So I've been talking about having my moles removed in Taiwan – by laser – for years now. The experience I was expecting and what I got were two different things. What I was expecting was what my aunt described as "a rubber band hitting your face and then the smell of burning flesh". Come to find out later, rubber-band-laser is used in the quick turnover clinics, where I'm guessing they don't do as detailed a job. What I got was laser-knife, which I understand requires special testing and licensing of the practitioner. Thankfully I was spared the sight of the thing, as early on, they decided to cover my eyes.

So they apply a numbing cream to your face, wait 30 minutes for the stuff to take effect, but don't let the numbing cream lull you into a false sense of painlessness. It doesn't take care of the deeper nerves, like with some of my moles. It wasn't what I would call excruciating, but it did cause me to curl my toes and clench my hands. About half, I didn't feel at all. Now, the burning smell was something else. It wasn't all the time, used occasionally when apparently she cauterized to minimize bleeding – and on that first day virtually no swelling. Just this warm, mild sunburn feeling. They taped this specialty second-skin type stuff to the sores, which I change out whenever there's been some fluid discharge. Recovery could take anywhere between 3 weeks to 3 months, keeping them covered as much as possible will cause the resulting skin to be smoother at that spot (as opposed to a small divot). Total cost for eleven moles: US$180.



G and BB spent the night at San YP's, my cousin Amber finished her final exams that day, so she was home to help. That left me with only Z and M as I carefully taped my face up that evening.