21 December 2011

All at Once

Backtracking to more than a week ago:

Er YeePoh and YieYie were in the city for a dance performance, stopped by for dinner (Dominos pizza delivery) afterward, before heading back to Hsinchu. The thing about Taiwan pizza is it always has seafood on it. For example, the Hawaiian-style has little shrimp on it, and the spinach pizza had chunks of faux crab meat and cuttlefish on it. 


Er YieYie has always been popular with kids and females in general.


BB and Z had their last art class: in three sessions they made a space scene (above), the big colored globs are planets, and there's little wads of foil for stars; a house; and painted snowmen scenes.

Years ago, when Drew and I first learned about dragon fruit, we went and bought ourselves one to try. It was white on the inside, rather bland and tasteless. I thought, it must get sweeter, better tasting, but it doesn't. Then come to find out, dragon fruit comes in a dark red, the outside looks the same as the white flesh. This is the sweeter, better tasting that the white will never attain. And the dark red will even turn your pee colors.



Shiao YP signed me up for cooking classes, the first session was a little stressful getting into the mode of things – though I arrived on time, there were a number of early comers already furiously chopping, and then having to gather all my equipment in the midst of that –, we made a vegetarian burrito-type thing using a soybean skin as the wrapping, a stir fry of carrots, bamboo shoots, sour vegetable, and mushroom on the inside.

The burrito-thing had to be steamed in order to set the soybean skin, and then browned in the wok. First time I've ever used a wok btw. Not as intimidating as I thought it would be.

The other dish we made was a salt and white pepper fried chicken, which is a popular eat at night markets. To the right is my finished soybean skin wrap.


While I was at cooking school, Shiao YP took G and BB to do another Playdoh figurine.