I eked out some spare time yesterday afternoon – three down for a nap! – and...
Voila: shirt skirt, also from Goodwill! (G took the picture for me. Her finger's covering the flash.) Although I've used elastic thread on one previous occasion, this would be the first time I've ever shirred, and I have to say, it's super easy to get good-looking results – but make sure you follow the nice lady's advice about starting close to the edge.
One other thing. I had a time getting this skirt comfortably over my (pregnancy?) hips. Was it because I didn't pre-wash? Did I not pull the fabric flat enough as I was sewing? Because she mentions that knits shrink up "LOTS". You should see how small it got after I put it through the wash, ha! Maybe the girls would like to add another skirt to their collection: it was roomy, but fit them just fine.
Well I'm off to a pedicure and dinner with a friend.