29 January 2009

Office Par–Tay!

By now this post, in its original form, is a bit outdated, but I saw this coconut cake post the other day – I made her Kleeja, which I liked better than the Hadgi Badah –, and it reminded me of the sublime coconut cake that Drew's coworker's wife GL makes. With freshly grated coconut. Sublime.

Really, the said event, the Friday before Christmas, was not as exciting as that exclamation mark implies – awkward conversation with people I'm meeting for the first time –, but the food was worth the trip, the highlight, in our opinion, being the coconut cake: a very delicate flavor, not overly sweet, scrumptiously moist. GL has made it for years (every Christmas?), indeed, helped to bring coconuts to the kitchen as a child; once even badly sliced her finger open while grating the coconut; has brought the cake close to perfection. I had two slices, and Drew managed to snag the last piece. The thought of that cake rather makes me look forward to next year's get together.