10 December 2007
The Word is Croup
We decided to take G to the walk-in clinic this afternoon just because we were driving by and we weren't sure how tonight was going to go in terms of coughing, sleeplessness, etc. After waiting an hour and a half to be seen, the doc determined that her temperature was too high (and that it was probably pneumonia) to treat her (there) so they sent us to the ER. But the clinic called us ahead and it had to be a new world record (for us at least). Drew literally walked up to the check-in counter and was whisked right into the back. Didn't even fill out any insurance paperwork. Can you believe such things? And within five minutes she was breathing some nebulizer, which I would guess helps to open up the air passageways like in asthmatics. They also gave her a dose of steroids to help with the edema (swelling?) of croup. By the time I found them (I had been sitting in the parking lot with a sleeping BB), she was sipping Pedialyte and much "bouncier" (as kids should be) than she was before. She even got a new kitty stuffed animal and some graham crackers out of the deal. So we just keep up with the fever, give her a 3-day course of steroids, humidifier and/or cold air, and Robitussin, if there's a lingering cough. I can tell you, for one thing, her breathing tonight is already much easier and not as noisy as last night.