17 December 2007

Christmas Trimmings

This year's week before Christmas is the kind of week that I could wish to be over quickly and relatively painlessly – I'm busier than ever. First of all, let me just say, I can't believe that Christmas is next week already. I was reviewing my doings for this week and, there it is, next Tuesday! (For those of you who "envy" gov't employees, Drew has his every-other-Friday-off this week and the Pres granted Monday off so that's five whole days at home!)

Thinking back to the last 48 hours, the only quiet time I had was Saturday evening and I frittered that away on relaxing. Sunday was spent squeezing cookie baking in between running out to parties. But Sunday was exhausting in more ways than one. Have you ever been made to feel small and insignificant by a person who presumably feels that way also? I had a very trying evening at a dinner party where this person was firing off a volley of questions at me so quickly that I didn't have a chance to answer any of them – and then he called me, essentially, incompetent for not knowing the answer. Needless to say, I was very relieved for the evening to come to an end.

And Monday is normally our day at home for chores, recuperating from the weekend, but today I went to a cookie exchange, hence all the baking. I think a lot of the other moms in our group also take Monday as their catch-up day so there were only a handful of us there. This was my first cookie exchange and I found it interesting that there were no chocolate chip cookies and only one instance of sugar cookies present – and one box of store-bought. (In her defense they were high-end: from a local bakery.) I was told by another mom who's been to several of these exchanges that they can get rather cutthroat depending on how special people view their cookies. But there were so many cookies that I think I came home with twice as many as I took. Drew had wanted me to make something for his office this week, but I think since I've already done my share of baking, I'm just going to pack up an assortment of my cookies and the ones I got from the exchange and send those instead.

One day down...